More information on KMC New York’s 2018 Winter Retreats
This annual winter retreat gives you the opportunity to engage in ten consecutive weeks of guided retreats: starting the foundations of The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, followed by four weeks of retreat focusing on the practice of the Four Great Preliminary Guide Retreats, and finishing with four weeks of silent retreats on Vajrayana Mahamudra. The Four Great Preliminary Guides and Vajrayana Mahamudra Retreats are based on Parts 1 and 2 of The Oral Instructions of Mahamudra by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche, and we will use the beautiful prayers, The Hundreds of Deities of the Joyful Land According to Highest Yoga Tantra.
You are welcome to attend one week, a few weeks or the entire ten weeks of retreat. Each week of retreat will stand alone as a complete retreat, but each week will also build on the the previous week, leading us toward the realizations of Mahamudra.
Three Ways of Joining in Retreat
Come for the Weekend
If you are interested in gaining a taste of retreat, coming to the start of a retreat is a great option. Leave your smartphone at home and decide to take a break from your daily activities and allow your mind to abide in the peace of meditation. In order to maintain the integrity of the week’s retreat, dropping into a retreat after the weekend is discouraged.
Come for a Week
Our International Winter Retreats provide you with an extremely diverse and comprehensive lineup of retreats. The topics and presentation by Gen Samten perfectly address the needs of anyone wishing to deepen their experience of Kadam Dharma in modern day times. It consists of nine week-long modules that are stand-alone. Choose a retreat topic that inspires you and take your meditation practice to the next level.
Immersion into retreat is blissful and peaceful. Through attending multiple weeks or the entire 9-week season, a transformation of mind will develop deep within your heart. Your heart will mix with the beauty of Kadam Dharma and your life will change forever.
Benefits of Retreat at KMC New York
Guidance by Gen Samten Kelsang
- Over 30 years of study and practice of Buddha’s teachings.
- Has had the unique opportunity to engage in a three year retreat.
- He presents Buddha’s most profound teachings in a practical and accessible way.
- Carries with him a wealth of experience in skillfully guiding sincere practitioners to profound meditative insights on retreat.
- For the first part of the retreat we will observe partial silence across the property – from the time you wake up until lunch.
This structure provides a beneficial retreat boundary while also giving practitioners the opportunity to discuss their experience of the teachings.
- Towards the end of the retreats we will be in complete silence.
Observing complete silence greatly accelerates our spiritual development by allowing the mind to become very peaceful and concentrated in a relatively short period of time.
The Good Qualities of Silence
A Perfect Place for Retreat
- Within the stillness of retreat, we are able to step back from the busyness of our daily life and focus on what is truly meaningful.
- Simply dwelling at the Temple our worries and problems fall away leaving us to enjoy a feeling of happiness and peace that arises naturally from within.
- Amongst the breathtaking and natural beauty of the woodlands and Temple grounds, enjoy the warmth and hospitality of a spiritual community, and the company of people from all over the world gathered together with a single purpose: to deepen their experience of Kadam Dharma through meditation.
- As our mind begins to settle we experience deeper and deeper levels of concentration and peace. Our heart mixes with the beauty of Kadam Dharma and our life is changed forever.