To experience true inner peace in modern day times it is extremely beneficial to take time out to do meditation retreat. At this time we let go of the demands of our daily life and reconnect to the stillness within ourselves. Through deepening our experience of meditation we take our spiritual practice up to the next level. By integrating this meditative experience into our daily activities we will improve the quality of our life and bring happiness to our family and friends. At KMC New York we offer a special retreat program that perfectly addresses the needs of anyone wishing to deepen their experience of Kadam Dharma in modern day times. It consists of nine, week-long modules of retreat:
Click to learn more about each retreat:
Week 1: Cultivate the 14 Stages of the Path within your mind.
Weeks 2 – 5: Gather the four great preliminary guides.
Weeks 6 – 9: Meditate on the actual path of Mahamudra.
Close Retreats of Heruka & Vajrayogini.
These retreats are attended by people from all over the world and will be based on the blessed and powerful instructions in The Oral Instructions of Mahamudra – Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso’s priceless gift to us that opens the door to enlightenment to everyone, even in these spiritually degenerate times.
You are welcome to attend one week, a few weeks or the entire nine weeks of retreat. Each week of retreat will stand alone as a complete retreat, but each week will also build on the the previous week, leading us toward the realizations of Mahamudra.
These retreats are in-depth retreats and require some previous meditation experience as well as some familiarly with the Mahamudra teachings found in The Oral Instructions of Mahamudra by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. These retreats will be done using the prayer book The Hundreds of Deities of the Joyful Land According to Highest Yoga Tantra – the precious prayers composed by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche.
For questions or to see if our International Winter Retreats are suitable for you please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Retreats by Week
Week 1: Lamrim – the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment
All Buddha’s teachings can be condensed into 14 key meditations explained in How to Understand the Mind. During this retreat, we will combine these meditations with instructions on the Wheel of Life to gain a deep meditative experience of renunciation, universal compassion and wisdom realizing emptiness.
The Four Great Preliminary Guides
Weeks 2 – 5
Silent Retreats on Vajrayana Mahamudra
Weeks 6 – 9
During the course of these retreats, practitioners will be observing silence. For the Lamrim and Preliminary Guide retreat, silence will be held from morning until lunch. During the Vajrayana Mahamudra retreats, silence will be held all day, throughout the week.
Observing silence enables the mind to become very peaceful and concentrated in a relatively short period of time and thus greatly accelerates our spiritual development when on retreat.
Gen Samten Kelsang, the Resident Teacher at KMC NY, is an internationally renown Buddhist monk & teacher. Having studied under the close guidance of Venerable Geshe-la for many years, Gen Samten presents Buddha’s most profound teachings in a practical and accessible way for modern day practitioners. He has had the unique opportunity to engage in a three-year retreat and carries with him a wealth of experience in skillfully guiding sincere practitioners to profound meditative insights.
This winter, we will offer close retreats on the practices of Heruka and Vajrayogini. These are intensive retreats that will help us to draw closer to these Buddhas and to awaken our Buddha nature. These retreats are only available to those who have received the Highest Yoga Tantra Empowerments of Heruka and Vajrayogini. For more information please email our Education Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
- Please see our booking instructions (below) to ensure a smooth registration process.
There is limited space available for the Close Retreats, please book quickly.
Submitting a booking does not guarantee your acceptance onto the retreat.
Please wait for approval to be confirmed.
Vajrayogini Close Retreat | Jan 3 – Feb 3
Silent Heruka Close Retreat | Feb 10 – Mar 17
Pricing Chart & Booking Instructions
- Due to the high number of registrations and need to provide support to those booking online, registration over the phone will not be available until Monday, September 19th.
- Onsite accommodation is very limited. A minimum booking of four weeks is required for all private rooms. Shared accommodations must be booked for a minimum of two nights. All onsite accommodations include a vegetarian, continental-style buffet breakfast. For more information about onsite accommodation.
- Our accommodations are rustic, simple and cozy, all with shared bathrooms. They provide a space to allow attendees to comfortably focus on retreat.
- Vegetarian lunches and dinners can be purchased when registering. Light snacks will be available in the World Peace Café between retreat sessions.
IMPORTANT REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS
***Please read carefully before registering to ensure you do so correctly***
Step 1 – Click “Register now” button (below). You will be taken to the registration page. On the left side of the screen, change the start and end dates to your date of arrival and date of departure.
Please book your retreat, accommodations and meals in one booking, rather than separately.
Step 2 – Select accommodations
Onsite accommodations are very limited, if you wish to stay onsite please book this first before booking the retreat and meals.
- Select tab “Add Accommodation”. Next select “Book Now” for the type of accommodations you would like to book.
- Confirm dates of arrival and departure, and number of adults (max 2). Then select “Continue”.
- This will take you to another page. On this page, select “Add to Booking” to add your retreat options.
Please note: All discounts for extended stays will calculate automatically.
Step 3 – Select the retreat/s you are planning to attend
- Select tab “Retreats, Courses & Events.” Next select “Book Now” for either the Guided Winter Retreats w/Gen Samten in the Temple or for one of the Counting Retreats.
- Confirm dates are correct & enter number of adults you are registering. Then select “Continue”.
- This will take you to another booking page. On this page, select “Add to Booking” to add your meals.
Step 4 – Add meals
If you’ve booked onsite accommodations, a continental breakfast is included, but you must book lunch and supper separately.
- Select tab “Add Meals”, choose lunch or supper and “Book Now”
- Confirm dates you would like to have this meal and number of adults you are adding meals for. Then select “Continue”.
- To add another daily meal click “Add to Booking” and choose the other meal option.
Step 5 – Enter personal information and make your deposit
- Enter your personal information. Read the Terms of Service and check that you have read these. Then select “Continue”.
- Enter payment details and select “Process Payment”.
Please note: Since many accommodations are very popular and may sell out, your room will not be confirmed until you receive a confirmation letter via email.
All of KMC New York’s courses and retreats are completely run by volunteers. All retreat attendees will be asked to volunteer in at least one area each day as part of their retreat commitments. Volunteering is a very important way of creating merit, or positive energy, to help us have a successful retreat, and participant volunteering ensures a smooth retreat for everyone.
Other Retreats & Special Events
Dorje Shugden Empowerment &
Secrets of the Whispered Lineage Retreat | Dec. 26 – 31
There are some working visit opportunities, available during our retreat season. In exchange for 35 hours of work in a week, working visitors will be able to attend some of the retreat sessions at no cost. If you wish to come as a working visitor, click here for more information and to fill out a working visitor application.