The Kadampa Study Programs
Take Your Pratice to the next level:
Foundation Program | Teacher Training Program
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso has designed three study programs of Buddhist teachings. These programs – the General, Foundation and Teacher Training Programs – form the very core of the NKT-IKBU, and are what distinguishes the New Kadampa Tradition from other traditions.
After attending General Program classes (Sunday mornings/Wednesday or Thursday evenings/or a branch class in your area) for some time, you may wish to go deeper in your practice and study of Kadampa Buddhism.
At present our wisdom is like a young child, or a new moon. We may have developed some wisdom from listening to teachings and reading and studying books, but this wisdom needs to be developed much further. By relying on the Three Study Programs we can gradually increase our wisdom until it is completely mature, like a full moon. With this kind of wisdom we will have a firm, stable confidence when teaching Dharma to others.Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche, Founder of the New Kadampa Tradition
Foundation Program (FP)
A systematic in-depth study of Buddha’s teachings
New Foundation Program book begins in February!
For those wishing to take the next step in their study of Buddhism and meditation, FP provides a systematic presentation of particular subjects of Mahayana Buddhism to enable practitioners to deepen their knowledge and experience of Buddhism. Although students study one book a t a time, the program comprises five subjects based on Buddha’s Sutra teachings and the corresponding commentaries by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
- The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune;
- Training the Mind, based on the commentaries Universal Compassion and The New Eight Steps to Happiness;
- The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary The New Heart of Wisdom;
- Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold; and
- Types of Mind, based on the commentary How to Understand the Mind.
Teacher Training Program (TTP)
Learn to become a qualified Kadampa teacher
- Guide to the Middle Way, based on the commentary Ocean of Nectar;
- Vajrayana Mahamudra, based on the commentary Clear Light of Bliss;
- The Bodhisattva’s Moral Discipline, based on the commentary The Bodhisattva Vow;
- Offering to the Spiritual Guide, based on the commentaries Great Treasury of Merit and Mahamudra Tantra;
- Vajrayogini Tantra, based on the commentary The New Guide to Dakini Land;
- Grounds and Paths of Secret Mantra, based on the commentary Tantric Grounds and Paths; and
- The Practice of Heruka Body Mandala, based on the commentary Essence of Vajrayana.
Participants also need to observe certain commitments with regard to behavior and way of life, and to complete a number of meditation retreats.